The Category B listed former Parkhead School is an important local landmark and an increasingly rare survivor of the School Board building programme across Victorian Glasgow. Constructed in two phases in 1878 and 1887, the school closed in 1963 and was subsequently used as a careers office and storage facility. It has been vacant since 1990 and was recorded on the Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland.
Glasgow Building Preservation Trust is delivering a project which has been developed in conjunction with Parkhead Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative and Parkhead Housing Association. Upon completion, the building will be acquired by Parkhead Housing Association which will manage it on behalf of the community. The project will involve the conservation and refurbishment of the listed buildings, which will be linked by a new glazed extension to create a local enterprise centre with flexible community space and range of office suites.
The project has been funded by Glasgow City Council, Parkhead Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative, Scottish Government: Regeneration Capital Grant Fund and Historic Environment Scotland.
Purcell (Architect), JRS Associates (Principal Designer), Will Rudd Davidson (Structural Engineer), Davie + McCulloch (Services Engineer), Gardiner & Theobald (Cost Consultants)
CBC – Central Building Contractors (Glasgow) Ltd
The total project cost is approx. £4.1m
Works commenced on site in July 2016.