Designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, the building was gifted to the people of Govan in 1906 by William Pearce, the Fairfield Shipyard owner, as an Institute for the district’s working men and women. The PI is Category A listed with an elaborate exterior, featuring an octagonal tower, balconied cupola and fine ship finial. It is home to a wide range of community groups and social enterprises and continues to provide educational, sports and cultural activities and services for the local community as well as providing office space and cafe.
The building has undergone a number of fabric repairs over the years, the latest of which were comprehensive roof repairs, as part of the Govan Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative. The Trust acted as Client-side Project Co-ordinator overseeing the repairs, co-ordinating the Design Team and managing the grants.
The works consisted of rot removal, re-slating, lead work, insulation, conservation repairs to the cupola, roof lanterns and ship finial and installation of feature lighting and solar panels. Additional work to key interior spaces, the Macleod Hall and the Lithgow Room, funded through the Scottish Government’s Wider Role Fund and facilitated by Govan Housing Association, also took place.
The Pearce Institute
Client-side Project Co-ordinator
Cost Consultant: Gardiner & Theobald
Structural Engineer: Scott Wilson
CDM Co-ordinator: Gardiner & Theobald
Pearce Institute, Govan Housing Association
CBC (Glasgow) Ltd
Construction Cost – £1.6m
Total Project Cost – £2.25m
Town Centre Regeneration Fund and Glasgow City Council (Better Glasgow Fund and Fairer Scotland Fund) through Central Govan Action Plan; Glasgow City Council and Heritage Lottery Fund through Govan Cross Townscape Heritage Initiative; Glasgow City Council Lighting Strategy; Historic Scotland and the Scottish Government’s Wider Role Fund.