Category B Listed; A B McDonald for Glasgow Corporation; 1902
Whitevale Baths first opened its doors 1902. The new facility had separate men’s and women’s swimming pools, hot baths and showers and a 'steamie' wash-house with sixty six washings stalls. The men’s pool could be drained and used as a concert venue, with seating for over 500 people.
The building also hosted a Turkish bath, gymnasium and reading room. Sadly, the pools were closed in the 1970s and the buildings began to deteriorate rapidly. The pools and steamie buildings were demolished in the mid 2010s.
Today, the category B-listed, red-brick facade still stands. Facing onto Whitevale Street in the Gallowgate, it is now surrounded by a new housing development. The building is wind and watertight, but needs extensive renovation and restoration works.
There is a growing need for flexible, community spaces in the Gallowgate area. Glasgow Building Preservation Trust are working with PEEK Project and Glasgow City Council to investigate if the building can be repaired and upgraded for use by the community.